Salary: £37,500 - £42,500
Industry: Rotating Machinery
Premier Engineering has engaged with a key client with a worldwide reputation of innovative solutions for power transmission measurement and test bed systems. Due to an increase in projects and new customers they are recruiting for an Applications & Development Engineer on a permanent employment basis. Innovative projects are delivered to high profile customers within highly regulated industries such as; Aero, Automotive, Energy, Oil & Gas.
Our Applications and Development engineers assist Business Development to provide technical solutions to customer enquiries and study, research and develop ideas for new products and methods used to make them. You will be working on a wide range of high-speed rotating machinery, couplings and test rigs of bespoke design that must be functional, reliable, easy and safe to use, including modifying existing products or processes to increase efficiency or improve performance.
Applicants must have the following qualifications:
- A 2.1 degree in Mechanical engineering with Aerospace/Automotive/Energy/Oil & Gas background together with 3 to 5 years of demonstrable experience in a similar role.
- Working knowledge and experience of CAD & PDM (preferably SolidWorks) and FEA tools (preferably Ansys Workbench and/or SolidWorks Simulation).
- Ability to create and interpret engineering drawings with GD&T.
- Ability to perform hand calculations for preliminary design, sizing, and stress assessment of static and rotating components.
- Material selection ability and knowledge of conventional manufacturing processes.
- Good understanding of Applied Mechanics, Strength of Materials, Metal Fatigue, Rotordynamics, and Vibrations along with a basic understanding of heat transfer, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics.
- Quick learner with the ability to work independently and multitask.
- Ability to write excel/VBA macros to create new or modify existing design tools.
The main duties of this role will be:
- Support the Chief Applications Engineer in providing timely response to new application and product enquiries for driveline components (couplings, spindles etc.) and turnkey test rigs for testing high-speed rotating machines such as e-motors, generators, aero engines, gearboxes, turbines, compressors, pumps, turbochargers etc.
- Produce innovative designs/ideas and create workable and cost-effective solutions.
- Assist in product costing and preparation of technical and commercial proposals.
- Assist in new product development and product improvement activities including brainstorming, design, analysis, supplier selection and testing.
- Create 3D CAD conceptual designs and 2D drawings.
- Collaborate with manufacturing, assembly and testing to build in-house R&D test rigs for new product development.
- The ability to conduct test schedules, document the results and present these findings clearly.
- Work on short and long-term projects both in managing, documenting, and performing the project activities.
- The selection and specification of suitable equipment suppliers and processes.
- Core hours of work are 37 per week based on Monday to Thursday 08:30 – 17:15 with ½ hour lunch break, and Fridays 08:30 – 12:30.
- Five weeks paid annual leave plus statutory Bank Holidays.