Job Type: Permanent
Location: Birmingham/Dudley West Midlands
Industry: Special Purpose Machines
Salary: £45K - £60K depending on experience
Premier Engineering has engaged with a key client and a World leading Machine Manufacturing Technology specialist based in the West Midlands. Due to winning new business, new projects and a huge increase in engineering opportunity, an opportunity for a Control Systems Engineer has become available.
As the Control Systems Engineer your role will inc. designs, documents, integrates and maintains electrical and software systems for Machines.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
1. Proficiently utilize SIMOTION Scout, TIA Portal, SIMATIC Manager and RSLogix5000 IDEs.
2. Proficiently utilize programming languages and methods including Ladder Logic, ST, and MCC for machine control.
3. Create electrical schematics, wiring diagrams, control station layouts, electrical enclosure panel layouts, Bills of Material and all electrical control hardware related documentation.
4. Conduct machine debug and startup.
5. Proficiently utilize AutoCAD or AutoCAD Electrical.
6. Interpret controls systems requirements from customer specifications, various project scope documents and technical execution documents.
7. Implement ANSI and ISO machine design and safety standards.
8. Develop technical and electrical controls systems requirements.
9. Develop machine sequence and control flow charts.
10. Develop Human Machine Interface programs for machine control via WinCC/TIA Portal and FactoryTalk View Studio.
11. Develop design documentation such as theory of operation, help files, machine set-up and operation instructions and detailed technical specifications.
12. Provide technical support to Service Technicians and customers, as needed.
13. Participate in efforts for the design, architecture and programming conventions of Controls applications and be a key player in the improvement process of existing designs.
14. Advocate and maintain Controls standards, verification and validation methods and techniques.
15. Collaborate with Controls Engineers and Mechanical Engineers to provide a variety of machine controls system solutions for the effective operation of Rotary Friction and Linear Friction welding machines.
16. Interpret project scope requirements and develop detailed technical specifications and documentation.
17. Build or leverage experience and understanding of machinery, machine controls, programmable logic controllers, human machine interface and their control software.
18. Be responsible for the design, architecture and programming conventions of new software applications and be a key player in the improvement process of existing software.
19. Advocate and maintain programming standards, verification and validation methods and techniques
20. Perform other assignments, as requested by supervisor or manager
21. Advise and recommend future technical and/or operational direction and process improvements as related to this function.
22. Promote cultural values and behavior in others (Respectful, Purposeful, Integrity, Collaborative, Adaptable, Positive Attitude, Excellence, Effective Communication, Self-motivated, Responsible, Recognition & Appreciation)
Required Skills and Competencies
- Must have a proven proficiency with Siemens and/or Rockwell PLC programming software
- Must have controls design experience on machine tool-type industrial equipment
- Must have in-depth knowledge of National and International design and safety regulations and standards
- Able to read electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic and mechanical design documents
- Proficiency with computers
- Must have excellent communication & leadership skills
- Must have excellent communication skills
- Must possess good documentation methods and practices
- The ability and willingness to learn new processes
- Must be eligible to work in the US permanently
- Must conduct oneself with the highest level of professional and ethical standards.
1. C or C-type language programming skills
2. PLC experience other than Siemens
3. ePLAN experience
1. Ability to perform general office-related activities
2. Frequently required to sit. Moderately require to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop; kneel; crouch; crawl
3. Use hands for purposes of keyboarding; handle or feel
4. Occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds
5. Ability to travel domestically and internationally
6. Ability to function in a manufacturing environment
Required Education and/or Experience
1. BS degree in Electrical Engineering, or BS degree in Engineering AND
2. At least 5 years' experience in machine controls systems design OR
3. At least 10 years' experience in machine controls systems design.
Sound interesting? Please contact Daniel Warby at Premier Engineering for more information and apply!