Location: Northampton, Northamptonshire
Salary: £37.5K - £45K DOE
Industry: Rotating Machinery - such as turbines, gears/gearboxes, transmission, axles, compressors, pumps, engines, ancillaries etc
Premier Engineering has engaged with a key client with a worldwide reputation of innovative solutions for power transmission measurement and test bed systems. Due to an increase in projects and new customers they are recruiting for a Mechanical Design Engineer on a permanent employment basis. Innovative projects are delivered to high calibre customer within highly regulated industries such as; Aerospace, Automotive, Energy, Oil & Gas.
As the Mechanical Design Engineer you will study, research and develop ideas for new products and the methods used to make them. Working on a wide range of bespoke rotating machinery, couplings and test beds that must be functional and reliable, easy and safe to use, whilst ensuring the design is as cost effective and efficient as possible, including modifying existing products or processes to increase efficiency or improve performance.
- Lead and participate in design projects, leading the focus to embed ‘design for manufacture’ throughout the team
- Provide strong technical direction and design leadership to the team and manage projects where required adhering to defined company processes and procedures
- Brainstorming design solutions
- Studying a design brief and researching whether it will work and be cost-effective
- Performing initial sizing calculations
- Assessing the usability, environmental impact and safety of a design
- Using computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-assisted engineering (CAE) software to create viable solutions
- Conducting and documenting formal design reviews
- Producing detailed manufacturing drawings and B.O.M.
- Creating the inspection and test schedule
- Ensure adherence to all procedures and processes set up within the quality system and contribute to its continuous improvement.
Applicants must have:
- A 2.1 degree or HND in a relevant engineering discipline
- 3D CAD / 2D CAD experience and abilities; ideally Solidworks or CREO
Key skill requirements
- Have at least 5 years’ experience working in an engineering, design, and manufacturing environment
- Have extensive CAD (2D AutoCAD and 3D Solidworks) experience
- Be knowledgeable in product data management
- Be a proactive problem solver with strong analytical thinking and a good attention to detail
- Have excellent communication skills, able to explain complex technical issues effectively to others
- Be a strong coach, leader and mentor with a passion for developing others
- Have an ability to come up with creative approaches for generating new ideas and improving existing processes, products or designs
- Ideally, you’ll also have a good understanding of ERP systems.
We will offer a competitive salary for the abilities and experience that you bring to us, together with a very good contributory pension scheme, death in service and income protection benefits, and a non-contractual annual profit share bonus dependant on company profits.
• Core hours of work are 37 per week based on Monday to Thursday 08:30 – 17:15 with ½ hour lunch break, and Fridays 08:30 – 12:30.
• Five weeks paid annual leave plus statutory Bank Holidays.
Sound interesting? Please contact Daniel Warby at Premier Engineering for more information and apply!