Job Title: Project Engineer
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Kettering, Northamptonshire
Salary: Circa £45K
Industry: Bulk Handling & Recycling Machines
Premier Engineering has engaged with a key client who specialise in design, manufacture and installation of bulk handling equipment and recycling machinery. Due to new projects and team growth, a new opportunity has become available for a Project Engineer to join on a permanent basis.
As Project Engineer, you should have a background of mechanical design (solidworks) and the full engineering life-cycle from concept through to manufacture and completion of project.
Core Design Duties:
- To produce general arrangement drawings in 2D and/or 3D for the Projects and Sales departments. This involves the full engineering integration of the company’s inhouse products (conveyors, structures, screens) with that of specialist third party manufacturers (shredders, magnets, optical sorters) to create a tailored plant layout within the space available without compromising material flow.
- To maximise space-saving techniques, material flow optimisation and process engineering within the GA to deliver class-leading designs.
- To work with the Sales team or the Projects team to optimise a layout until it reaches the point of Design Freeze at which the customer signs off the GA to allow full project launch.
- To ensure design quality, cost, time and standardisation are appropriately considered throughout the design and delivery process
- To use AutoCAD and SolidWorks as the main platforms for the above.
Project Engineering Duties:
- Be hands-on, pro-active and own the engineering development of a project from initial concept through design, release, manufacturing, testing and commissioning.
- To model and detail detailed in-house products through to full release to the shopfloor producing detailed manufacturing drawings from 3D models (SolidWorks). This will involve using the Company’s standards library and customising if necessary.
- To create and release BOMs (Bill of Materials) within company MRP systemTo produce and maintain technical documents for the Engineering and Sales departments as well as manufacturing manuals, operating manuals, health and safety, maintenance etc.
- To define product technical specifications taking into account both internal design standards and legislative/mandated industry standards.
- To attend site to take or check measurementsTo liaise with customers to ensure the Company’s efforts (in Engineering or otherwise) match their expectations for the Project.
- To produce technical specifications for in-house products or those we purchase.To challenge existing designs and manufacturing methods for the benefit of the Company and the customer.
- To work closely with the Manufacturing department, Project Engineers and Sales team to ensure designed products meet the overall requirements of the business
- To liase with both customers and suppliers to deliver the best solution possibleTo provide full engineering support on the project including at site whenever needed and particularly over Installation, Commissioning and Testing.
- To give full support to the Project Manager over the course of the project and attend site as necessary to ensure the plant/machine is successfully commissioned and customer is delighted.
- To maintain a customer-centric outlook and assist customers wherever possible and make their experience as positive as possible.
- To maintain a curiosity as to why some things may not work well and to work proactively to uncover the source of any problem, and then to remove it from the system.
- To aim for perfection in everything we do.
- To follow the Company’s Vision, Mission and Values and/or challenge any parts you wish to change for the better.
- To visit the Company’s completed installations and those of our competitors to analyse the benefit or otherwise of the design and costing decisions taken by us and our competitors within any plant.
- To use this knowledge for the continuous improvement of our designs and proposals as well as a better understanding what the Company offers compared to the market. Relaying this knowledge to other colleagues so that at all points of customer interface we can explain why we are better or, if relevant, different on price.
- To visit trade shows, search the Internet and develop a good network of contacts with third party equipment suppliers so that all new technologies are detected, analysed and, where suitable, deployed to ensure our designs are always innovative.
- To undertake other drawing work for the Engineering department. and class‐leading.
- To attend meetings called by the Head of Projects or the management.
- To attend site as and when necessitated by the circumstances of a particular project.
- To assist members of the Sales team during tender submissions
- To bring to the attention of the Head of Projects any factor affecting satisfactory and timely completion of a given task.
- To bring to the attention of the Head of Projects any information that may be of significant use to the Company in general.
- To offer suggestions aimed at improving any application or process within the Company.
- To follow the procedures set out in the Quality Assurance Manual, the Quality Procedures and the Working Procedures.
- To observe at all times the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974; to maintain generally safe and clean working areas.
- To ensure that work carried out by the job‐holder is inspected during execution and upon completion to ensure that it is defect‐free before onward transmission.
- To work reasonable overtime when requested, as required by the pattern of work.
- To carry out any other duties within the job‐holder’s capability, including transferring to other work, as and when required.
Sound interesting? Please contact Daniel Warby for further information and apply!