Job Type: Permanent
Location: Northampton, Northamptonshire
Salary: £35K - £45K DOE Plus annual bonus paid at 7.5% (last 5 years paid at 15%)
Industry: Telecommunication Products & Components
Premier Engineering has engaged with a new client and a world leading manufacturer in Telecoms & Connectivity Products based in Northampton. Due to business & team growth 2 new opportunities have arisen for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join on a permanent basis. For this role you would ideally have a background of product design, component design, plastics, sheet metal & R&D.
Work as a member of the mechanical design team to design and create new products and take responsibility from inception through final design to manufacturing and assembly and finally through to sale within an agreed specification, cost target and timeline.
To meet customer and sales expectations through customizing existing products and components to their new product requirements within short deadlines.
- Managing projects to improve performance and reliability of present and future data.
- As part of the design team, take responsibility for the full product development life-cycle of new components, products and solutions including supporting internal teams with specific product information
- Design the aesthetics, materials and functionality of new products.
- Use Creo 3D CAD system to design and visualise projects create 2D drawings to enable procurement of tooling and components.
- Create photo realistic images from 3D models and assembly’s for customer visualisation.
- Undertake model making, prototyping and product testing.
- Communicate effectively with customers, colleagues and vendors involved in a project.
- Liaise with the wider engineering team and other departments to assist in the development of product specifications.
- Plan effectively to ensure projects are delivered on time, to standard and to budget.
- Operate as an integrated member of the engineering team by offering experience and support through activities such as peer reviewing designs and drawing, information training, etc.
- Produce product design information such as bill of materials and drawings for product management.
- Self-motivated and self-managing
- Able to operate as an active member of a larger engineering team
- At least five years’ experience in a product development role with plastic and rubber moldings.
- Experience in metal work fabrication
- Experience in sealing technologies to prevent the ingress of water and dust.
- Minimum HNC/HND qualified
- Experience in 3D CAD (PTC Creo experience would be an advantage but not essential)
- Works to deadlines
- Ability to work autonomously
- Good working knowledge of MS Office applications
- Effective communicator
- Good level of literacy and numeracy.