Job Type: Permanent
Location: Dudley, West Midlands
Salary: DOE – However between £40K - £60K
Premier Engineering has engaged with a key client and a world leader in specialist test applications for a diverse range of industries, from Aerospace and Pharmaceutical, to Automotive and Nuclear research as well as leading UK Universities closely linked with these sectors.
Specialising in materials testing technology, we offer expert consultancy and a complete end to end service; from bespoke design, manufacture and installation of machines and control systems to ongoing support and UKAS calibration, refurbishment and re-purposing of existing equipment. The specialist in-house, sub-contract, UKAS accredited materials testing lab allows us to collaborate fully with our customers, offering ongoing development of testing techniques and technologies to suit their requirements, as well as added capacity for sub-contract overflow or bespoke work.
Work as an integrated member of the leadership team, alongside the operations manager to deliver organisational priorities. As a member of the leadership team, you will lead by example on all aspects of the role including attitude, professionalism and values.
Responsible for leading a small team in the production and design departments which encompasses electronics and mechanical design in its entirety. This includes, managing live and future projects/tasks, overseeing the health and safety of the shop floor and site work, supporting technical design and building, maintaining and improving customer relations and working with and improving processes and procedure defined by ISO9001/14001.
To build and uphold the organisation and culture of the operation to meet the strategic goals of the business whilst strengthening brand values with the emphasis on innovation and delighting our customers
- Manage production, electronics design and mechanical design and ensure our customers receive the best quality service through a skilled team, ensuring all resources are utilised effectively and costs controlled within applicable budgets.
- Liaise with customers and suppliers to maintain relationships and build new ones, to assist with the company’s growth. Including managing delivery dates and chasing outstanding orders
- Ensure we deliver a consistently high standard of experience for our customers by personally building and leading your team in maintaining and championing a culture of customer focus across the site, ensuring all resources are utilised effectively and costs controlled within the applicable budget.
- To make a significant contribution to the growth and success of the business by working proactively with the operations manager to meet all customer deadlines and quality expectations.
- Manage the production, electronics design and mechanical design departments, including technical challenges to particular designs where appropriate.
- Lead the drive for design efficiency through ensuring as much uniformity of design as practically possible.
- Coach members of the team and cross functional working groups that you are part of regularly, living out the group values. Active role in succession planning within your area of responsibility
- Ensure the accurate monitoring and continual improvement of stock levels/technical items in line with agreed procedures at all times, liaising with internal customers to amend/improve so we do not fail our customer promise. Working with the financial controller on planned stock count and production of stock count procedures.
- Generation of instruction manuals and technical documentation on projects including FAT and SAT documentation.
- Responsible for writing of work schedules and plans, ensuring these are fully in line with customer demands and business priorities, allocating these plans to the team and monitoring and evaluating at regular intervals
- Work with the engineering team to provide mechanical designs and drawings through use of 3D CAD/rapid prototyping tools/Solid Works for test lab, service and calibration, and production projects
- Maintain physical condition of production and associated areas by planning and implementing new design layouts; inspecting equipment; issuing work orders for repair and requisitions for replacement
- Hold regular effective team meetings, fostering employee engagement and the forum for continuous improvement
- Ensure day to day activities are being carried out to a high standard and in the achievement of all site KPI’s taking appropriate corrective action as necessary
- Plan, implement and deliver the quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily deliverables for the site against agreed objectives, reporting on these weekly and monthly
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate management reports are completed.
- Adopt safe working practices in line with current company procedures and to undertake appropriate training in Health and Safety.
- Secure Production/Shop floor by turning alarms on where appropriate and testing systems on a regular basis
- Enforce the Quality Assurance System/QMS to the current ISO90001 standard, planning and implementing procedures and systems to maximise operating efficiency. Establish and maintain internal controls to safeguard quality standards
- Ensure you fully engage in the performance management/appraisal process and always have a personal current up to date Development Plan in operation so that appropriate learning and development activities are undertaken for the role
- Ensure that any decisions taken with regard to colleagues are made within the constraints of prevailing employment legislation
- Ideally a Degree in Engineering (such as Mechatronics, Electrical, Software, Mechanical) although experience and proven track record will be taken into consideration.
- Good knowledge of main Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint, Outlook/Teams, Solid Works.
- Good level of numeracy
- Good knowledge of Health & Safety at work regulations
Knowledge and skills
- Understanding of a bespoke manufacturing and support services environment
- Knowledge of material testing / test machines
- Understanding of servo hydraulics
- Operation of general workshop equipment
- Experience of working to international standards and Quality Management
- Use of 3D CAD and/ or rapid prototyping tools
- Experience of working at customers sites
- engineering background and understanding of mechanical/electronics/microelectronic processes
- Knowledge of materials testing machines and servo hydraulics
- Experience of bespoke assembly operations