Location: Northamptonshire (hybrid working available)
Salary: £37,500 - £50,000 - potentially up to £55K
Industry: Rotating Equipment
Premier Engineering has engaged with a key client with a worldwide reputation of innovative solutions for power transmission measurement and test bed systems. Due to an increase in projects and new customers they are recruiting for an Applications & Development Engineer on a permanent employment basis. Innovative projects are delivered to high profile customers within highly regulated industries such as; Aero, Automotive, Energy, Oil & Gas.
This is an urgent requirement and great opportunity for a Design & Development Engineer to join a key client of mine based in Northampton (Hybrid working available). You must have a background of Rotating Equipment such as Turbines, Gearbox/Gears, Ancillaries, Compressors, Axles, Engines/Powertrain, Pumps, Electric Drive Units (EDU) etc.
3 key points that we are looking he looks for on a CV, other than a must-have mechanical engineering degree, are:
- Must be able to perform hand calculations
- Have experience of designing rotating machinery
- FEA (if they have knowledge of this but no experience this would not rule a candidate out).
If these 3 elements are not evident on a CV it will not be progressed.
We have various salary bands, and require either an Engineer or a Senior Engineer.
Engineer £35K - £42.5K
Senior Engineer £40K - £50K - potentially up up £55K
Our Applications and Development engineers assist Business Development to provide technical solutions to customer enquiries and study, research and develop ideas for new products and methods used to make them. You will be working on a wide range of high-speed rotating machinery, couplings and test rigs of bespoke design that must be functional, reliable, easy and safe to use, including modifying existing products or processes to increase efficiency or improve performance.
Applicants must have the following qualifications:
- A 2.1 degree in Mechanical engineering with Aerospace/Automotive/Energy/Oil & Gas background together with 3 to 5 years of demonstrable experience in a similar role.
- Working knowledge and experience of CAD & PDM (preferably SolidWorks) and FEA tools (preferably Ansys Workbench and/or SolidWorks Simulation).
- Ability to create and interpret engineering drawings with GD&T.
- Ability to perform hand calculations for preliminary design, sizing, and stress assessment of static and rotating components.
- Material selection ability and knowledge of conventional manufacturing processes.
- Good understanding of Applied Mechanics, Strength of Materials, Metal Fatigue, Rotordynamics, and Vibrations along with a basic understanding of heat transfer, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics.
- Quick learner with the ability to work independently and multitask.
- Ability to write excel/VBA macros to create new or modify existing design tools.
We are looking for an individual that is by nature innovative, proactive, and self-motivated. You will need a good interpersonal manner together with strong written and oral communication skills to deal with customers, suppliers, and internal departments. You will be commercially aware and have excellent time management abilities.
The main duties of this role will be:
- Support the Chief Applications Engineer in providing timely response to new application and product enquiries for driveline components (couplings, spindles etc.) and turnkey test rigs for testing high-speed rotating machines such as e-motors, generators, aero engines, gearboxes, turbines, compressors, pumps, turbochargers etc.
- Produce innovative designs/ideas and create workable and cost-effective solutions.
- Assist in product costing and preparation of technical and commercial proposals.
- Assist in new product development and product improvement activities including brainstorming, design, analysis, supplier selection and testing.
- Create 3D CAD conceptual designs and 2D drawings.
- Collaborate with manufacturing, assembly and testing to build in-house R&D test rigs for new product development.
- The ability to conduct test schedules, document the results and present these findings clearly.
- Work on short and long-term projects both in managing, documenting, and performing the project activities.
- The selection and specification of suitable equipment suppliers and processes.
In return for your skills we will offer you a competitive salary, together with an excellent contributory pension scheme, death in service and income protection benefits, and a non-contractual annual profit share bonus. Support to apply for and/ or maintain your IMechE membership is available.
- Core hours of work are 37 per week based on Monday to Thursday 08:30 – 17:15 with ½ hour lunch break, and Fridays 08:30 – 12:30.
- Five weeks paid annual leave plus statutory Bank Holidays.
Sound interesting? Please contact Daniel Warby at Premier Engineering for more information and apply!