Job Type: Permanent
Salary: up to £50K DOE
Location: Leamington Spa, Warwickshire
Industry: Energy & Power
Premier Engineering has engaged with a key client and a world leader in low carbon power generation technologies, a very innovative and future thinking business. Due to an increase in new projects and team growth a new & exciting opportunity has arisen for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join on a permanent basis.
The role of Mechanical Design Engineer would suit a candidate with a proven track-record of delivering high quality engineering solutions and is an innovative problem solver. The applicant should have a broad range of engineering experience but be keen to develop their knowledge further. Must be team player but able to work independently and thrives in a dynamic environment with changing priorities.
What you'll get from us:
- Be part of a company developing a simply revolutionary new product.
- A supportive, fast paced and energetic team environment.
- The opportunity to add real value and play a critical part in our evolving business.
- Private Medical Insurance, funded by the Company.
- Competitive salary, up to 50K DOE.
- Pension contribution.
- Life assurance.
- 33 days holiday entitlement, inc Bank Holidays.
- Hybrid working with set office days
What you’ll deliver to us:
- Develop the concepts and production designs of components and assemblies from system level requirements through to final definition.
- Create CAD models, assemblies, drawings and specifications according to best practice and corporate standards.
- Perform detail 2D/3D tolerance studies on bespoke designs.
- Work closely with Manufacturing Engineering and Supply Chain personnel to optimise the design for production.
- Check engineering drawings for compliance to BS 8888 and corporate best practices
- Actively improve the Mechanical Engineering best-practices, processes and standards.
- Support DFMEA activities
- Support the components and sub-system verification activities. For example, the design of rig hardware, instrumentation designs, process test data etc.
- Support the continuous improvement of the Design Engineering function.
- Relevant Engineering degree is preferred. HNC, BTec Professional Level 4 Award or equivalent NVQ Level 4 qualifications with appropriate level of experience.
- Must have a meticulous, disciplined approach and work to a high level of accuracy.
- Must be able to work from fundamental engineering principles where best practices and standards are not available.
- Must be comfortable work independently and able to contribute to continuous improvement by working with the wider team.
- Capable of working in a highly dynamic environment with changing priorities.
- The candidate must have some experience across a broad range of relevant component designs, for example; machined parts, piping & pipe fittings, electrical harnesses, sheet metal work, tooling & jigs.
- A thorough understanding of BS 8888 and GD&T.
- Excellent CAD skills; minimum 5 years using CAD is required. The ideal candidate should have at least 2 years using Solidworks although training can be provided.
- Experience in using PDM/PLM systems. Teamcenter 12 is preferred although training can be provided if necessary.
- Excellent IT skills including all common MS programmes such as Outlook, Word, Excel etc
The preferred candidate would demonstrate some of the following experience and skills:
- Experience of designing components across a broad spectrum of TRLs (Technology Readiness Levels) ranging from one-off experimental components for test through to production parts for high-volume manufacture.
- Previous experience in product development incl verification activities, test, instrumentation etc
- Conducting hand-calcs to support their designs; bolted joints, pressure vessels etc
- Some experience in turbomachinery design; discs, shafts, bearings, casings etc. Examples could be Gas Turbines, rotating pumps, motors, rotordynamics etc
- Hot Pressure equipment incl hand calcs. Piping designs, exhausts, bolted joints.
- Experience in designing heat exchangers.
- Fuel system design; pipe routing, manifolds, valves, filters, fuel tanks etc
- Knowledge of materials selection and metallurgy.
- An appreciation of FEA and CFD.